top of page


  • Whatsapp
  • TripAdvisor
  • Facebook

Hotel History

A tradition of hospitality started 100 years ago!

“Pestera House” was the first construction inaugurated on September 21, 1923. The legendary Niculaie Butmăloiu was among the first period builders. Pestera Hotel continues a tradition of hospitality started about 100 years ago!

1923 - 1940

The beginnings of the "Cave House"

"Casa Pestera" was the name of the first tourist shelter built in Poiana Crucii near the Pestera lalomitei Monastery. The initiative belonged to Mihai Haret, grandson of the scientist Spiru Haret. Mihai Haret is the founder of the tourist movement in Romania and was a Member of the French Alpine Club and a Member of the Committee of the Royal Romanian Society of Geography.

The construction of the Cave House started in May 1923. In the autumn of the same year, more precisely on September 21st, the inauguration took place in the presence of more than 60 mountain lovers. Built using exclusively local wood, the shelter house was the property of the association "Hanul Drumetului", a company founded in 1921 and which in 1926 became TCR Touring-Clubul Romaniei.

From 1924 until the spring of 1925, the cottage was extended and refurbished,
as the number of tourists in the Bucegi had increased significantly and the initial construction had become uninhabitable, especially in summer. More than 200 people attended the new inauguration, although the event took place on 29 June 1925, a cold summer day with a blizzard. Among the early period cabaneurs was the legendary Niculaie Butmaloiu.

Until 1930, the "Cave House" was improved in terms of tourist comfort and the possibilities of exploitation of the lodge, as claimed by the president of the Touring-Club of Romania, Mihai Haret. He also noted for the cultural magazine "Boabe de grâu" in 1930: "The repairs have been made up to date, necessitated by the many damages caused every winter by snow, frost or hurricanes".

In 1930 the Cave House had 40 beds with bedsprings and wool mattresses, pillows and blankets, all distributed in five rooms on the ground floor and three in the attic. The cottage also had a dining room with a library and museum in formation, a caretaker's room, a kitchen and a cellar. In another part of the "Cave House" there was a stable for cows, a workshop, a special room for photography and a room for horseback riding, with 6 places." from Wheat Grains magazine.

bottom of page