This is custom heading element
“The Pestera House” was the name of the first shelter for tourists built in Poiana Crucii near the Ialomiţa Cave Monastery. The initiative belonged to Mihai Haret, the nephew of the scientist Spiru Haret. Mihai Haret is the founder of the tourism movement in Romania and was a Member of the French Alpine Club as well as a Member of the Committee of the Romanian Royal Geography Society.
The construction of the Pestera House began in May 1923. In the autumn of the same year, more precisely on September 21, the inauguration in the presence of more than 60 mountain lovers. Built using exclusively wood material from the area, the shelter house was the property of the association Hanul Drumețului, a joint stock company founded in 1921 and which will become in 1926 TCR Touring-Club of Romania.
From 1924 until the spring of 1925, the cottage was enlarged and refurbished, as the number of tourists in Bucegi had increased significantly and the initial construction had become particularly inadequate during the summer. More than 200 people participated in the new inauguration, although the event took place on June 29, 1925, a frigid summer day with blizzard. Among the riders of the beginning period were the legendary Niculaie Butmăloiu.
By 1930, the “Pestera House” had been improved in terms of comfort for tourists, as well as the possibilities of operating the cottage, as stated by the President of the Touring Club of Romania, Mihai Haret. He also noted for the culture magazine “Wheat grains” in 1930: “The repairs necessitated by the great damage that the snow, the frosts or hurricanes cause every winter” have been updated.
The Pestera House had “in 1930 40 beds with bedding and wool mattresses, pillows of flakes and blankets, all divided into five rooms on the ground floor and three on the attic. Also, the cottage had a dining room with library and museum. In training, a room for the caretaker, a kitchen and a cellar. In another body of the “Pestera House” there was a cow stable, a workshop, a special room for photography and a room for guides, with 6 seats. ” from “Boabe de grâu” magazine.